The Marketing Associate/Editor is a key member of the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley’s professional staff team and Marketing Department. This full-time position covers two main areas of responsibility.
As marketing associate, the position will assist with the overall needs of the Federation Marketing Department, primarily by serving as the liaison to Jewish Family Service. Position will be responsible for deliverables to Jewish Family Service including brochures, event promotion, website management, e-mails and other agreed-upon needs, with the support of the director of marketing and the graphic designer.
As editor, the position will direct the publication of HAKOL, a web-pressed monthly tabloid newspaper averaging 32 pages in its main section, as well as 8-12 pages in six special sections per year. This advertising-supported paper is a primary communication vehicle promoting the message, mission and programs of the organization; as a community paper it also provides news and information of particular interest to its constituency, including being a primary marketing tool for other related non-profit organizations serving the same affinity. In addition, the editor will assist with the publication of an in-house magazine, Shalom Lehigh Valley, published every two years, that showcases the organizations’ mission. Production is supported by a layout/graphic design associate and an advertising salesperson and is overseen by the director of marketing.
1) Jewish Family Service Marketing
- Serve as the primary liaison to Jewish Family Service, a beneficiary agency of the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley
- Meet with JFS staff and attend committee meetings and events as needed
- Identify marketing needs for JFS and determine how to best meet deliverables within the Marketing Department production schedule
- Lead the production of a JFS annual report
- Write copy for brochures, letters and other promotional material as needed; work with graphic designer to lay out materials
- Produce e-mails for JFS when requested
- Maintain JFS website
- Maintain JFS social media
- Secure outside advertising when requested; assist with presentations and community outreach efforts
- Create press releases and secure placements
2) HAKOL Editor
- Coordinate and manage content, layout and design of newspaper – allocating print space for story text, photos, advertising and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles and aesthetics
- Interact with community and agency representatives to collect, edit, fact check newsworthy articles and information listings
- Review and select articles and releases from specific wire services and/or other national sources; edit article length as needed
- Check copy for spelling and grammar errors in accordance with AP Style, inconsistencies, incorrect facts, day/date consistencies
- Recruit and manage volunteer and freelance writers
- Develop special feature sections and assign or source feature articles from volunteers and freelance writers
- Create annual editorial and special features calendar
- Work with related agencies on advertising in HAKOL
- Work with print vendors, mail house and post office
- Serve as a liaison to the governing Editorial Board
3) Federation Marketing
- Assist with other assignments for the Marketing Department as requested
- Assist with photo and video production needs
- The editor/marketing associate will report directly to the director of marketing.
- This is an exempt position and will require some evening and weekend hours.
- This is a full time position.
- BA, or equivalent, preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to organize and schedule work effectively and efficiently, juggling multiple projects at once
- Maintain attention to detail and the big picture
- Ability to work well with and manage others
- Oversee each issue/publication from content, to design layout, through production and distribution
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods
- Sound editorial judgment
- Ability to work on deadlines, staying focused and calm under pressure
- Creativity and intellectual curiosity a plus
- Knowledge and understanding of Jewish practices, customs, history and community organization is preferred, but not a requirement
- Knowledge of AP Style is a plus
- Must be computer literate; preference for experience in using Adobe InDesign; familiarity with PhotoShop and Illustrator a plus